(JANUARY 22, 1921 - NOVEMBER 11, 1983)
BORN: YEREVAN, ARMENIA
GRADUATED: YEREVAN STATE MUSIC CONSERVATORY
- 1935 - First two prizes for two songs dedicated to the 15th anniversary of Soviet Armenia
- 1937 - First prize for the best performance of Alexander Glazunov's Piano Variations at Yerevan Conservatoire
- 1939 - First prize for the best performance of works by Soviet composers
- 1945 - Medal "For Defence of the Caucasus"
- 1945 - Medal "For Valiant Labour"
- 1947 - Second prize for three piano pieces (or the Piano Concerto) at the 1st World Festival of Youth and Students in Prague
- 1951 - Third Stalin Prize for the "Heroic Ballade" for piano and orchestra
- 1953 - Second prize for the song "Fly Aloft the Friendship Banner" at the 2nd World Festival of Youth and Students in Bucharest
- 1956 - Order of the Red Banner of Labour
- 1956 - Meritorious Artist of the Armenian SSR
- 1962 - People's Artist of the Armenian SSR
- 1967 - Armenian SSR State prize for "6 pictures" for piano solo
- 1971 - People's Artist of the USSR
- 1973 - Best composer's award at Tokyo Music Festival (for song "The Devil's Wheel")
- 1973 - Honorable citizen of two cities in Texas
- 1981 - Order of Lenin
- 1983 (posthumously) - Armenian SSR State prize for the OST for the film "Mechanics of Happiness"
A minor planet, 9017 Babadzhanyan, was named after him